Monday 20 March 2017

Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics

                               Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger


I am constantly trying to find the next best mascara. Mascara is one of my absolute beauty must haves and whenever I am putting on my makeup and getting ready, my mascara time is my most focused time. All my girlfriends constantly make fun of me because I take FOREVER to apply my mascara. I sometimes put up to three different kinds of mascara on to make sure I get that perfect voluminous and long lash effect. Crazy, I know!
A good rule of thumb to remember when finding the perfect mascara is to first figure out what kind of lashes you have. Once you know this, it’s easier to find a formula and brush that compliments your lashes and your desired look. If you’re having a hard time, stop into your local beauty store and ask the experts!
There are only 2 main types of mascara brushes (I know, I was surprised too!). The most standard and traditional wire brush is great for increasing volume in your lashes because it picks up more formula and thickens the lash with each coat. On the other hand, molded brushes made from plastic are great for separating and giving your lashes a more defined finish.
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger
Now it gets a little tricky. The shape of the brush, placement of the bristles and overall size of the brush also matter when it comes to finding the perfect match for your lashes.
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger
Generally speaking, curved brushes are used for curling, but if you have curly lashes to begin with you should avoid this shape because too much curl just pushes mascara onto your eyelid. Hate that!
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger
Thick brushes are good for adding volume and they work best with thick lashes. Short, thin and even straight lases get weighed down with a thick brush, so keep reading for a solution! Usually the larger the brush, the more product it holds, so this shape is perfect if you’re going for a more dramatic eye and heavy application.
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger

Pointed or other types of tapered brushes (depending on the formula) give lashes volume and length. They work really well for thin lashes or correcting precise areas. For example, there are some small tapered brushes that are great for those tiny lashes at the corners of your eyes. Using a pointed brush is nice because you have a thick end for volume and a thin point for length and definition.
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger
Thin combed brushes help define and separate the lashes. They’re great for women with shorter lases and they don’t have issues with clumping! If you’re going for a fresh open eye, this is definitely a brush you should try.
Beauty Guides: Mascara Brush Basics | Katherine Schwarzenegger
Shapes and sizes of mascara brushes are one thing, but you definitely can’t get the right lash look without taking formula into consideration. I’ll be going over mascara formulas in my next beauty basics post so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment